Re: production server down

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Hackers (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: production server down
Date: 2004-12-15 07:07:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> My advice is to backup the $PGDATA tree (which you said was in
> progress), then pg_resetxlog, then cross-check the hell out of the data
> you see. Only if you can detect some data problems can we guess at
> something else to do ...

OK. I plan to gather the usual suspects and try to get an accurate
picture of the chain of events first thing tomorrow. Then we'll likely
proceed as you suggest.

Thinking about your comments and reading xlog.c, it almost seems as
though the mount points were momentarily reversed between /replica and
/production. I.e. that the /production mount point was used near the
beginning of StartupXLOG() for ReadControlFile(), and the /replica mount
point was used at the end of StartupXLOG() for UpdateControlFile(). But
I have no idea how that could happen.

Thanks,

Joe