Re: [Testperf-general] BufferSync and bgwriter

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, testperf-general(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Testperf-general] BufferSync and bgwriter
Date: 2004-12-12 05:46:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wonder if we even need to retain the bgwriter_percent GUC var. Is
there actually a situation in which the combination of bgwriter_maxpages
and bgwriter_delay does not give the DBA sufficient flexibility in
tuning bgwriter behavior?

Simon Riggs wrote:
> If the bgwriter_percent = 100, then we should actually do the sensible
> thing and prepare the list that we need, i.e. limit
> StrategyDirtyBufferList to finding at most bgwriter_maxpages.

Is the plan to make bgwriter_percent = 100 the default setting?

-Neil