Re: Foreign keys referencing parent table fails on insert

From: postgresbugs <postgresbugs(at)grifent(dot)com>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Foreign keys referencing parent table fails on insert
Date: 2004-12-03 18:12:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
Stephan Szabo wrote:
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, postgresbugs wrote:

</pre>
<pre wrap=""> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Stephan Szabo wrote:

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, postgresbugs wrote:

&gt; Foreign keys referencing parent table fails on insert if the key is in
</pre>
<pre wrap="">the table that inherits the parent table.
</pre>
<pre wrap="">
Unfortunately, primary keys, unique constraints and foreign keys do not
inherit to children in a meaningful fashion. It's one of the big
deficiencies right now.

Too bad. Table inheritance is pretty meaningless without these
abilities. Anyone working on them? In the meantime, I will go back to
views and updating the underlying tables.
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->
There's noone actively working on it at the moment that I know of (and if
there is, hopefully they'll see this and correct me) although I believe
there was some noise in the last dev cycle of people thinking about the
unique (and pkey) side of it.
</pre>
Thanks. I would think that if the primary and unique keys worked
properly the foreign key problem would just fall out naturally. I would
volunteer for this except I do all my programing in JAVA these days and
my C and C++ are too rusty to be useful.<br>
I hope someone picks this up. It would go a long way in doing away with
the problems of views and inserts and updates.

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/html 1.8 KB