Re: Bug in setFetchSize

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Dave Smith <dave(dot)smith(at)candata(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug in setFetchSize
Date: 2004-12-02 21:20:39
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Dave Smith wrote:
> We are using pg80b1.308.jdbc3.jar with pg 7.4.5 and trying to use
> setFetchSize on Statement.
>
> Once we try and fetch outside the value we have set for fetchSize we get
> ERROR: portal "C_4" does not exist

The only case I can think of this happening is if you are trying to use
a ResultSet after the transaction that created it has committed or
rolled back.

You're not meant to do that unless you specify HOLD_CURSORS_OVER_COMMIT
(which the driver will currently reject as unsupported). The driver does
not explicitly close ResultSets on commit, but the server closes the
underlying cursor so you see this error.

If that's not the scenario, can you provide some sample code that
demonstrates the problem?

> So it looks like you are using fetchSize as an absolute size, which is
> not my reading of the spec.

I don't understand your analysis.

-O