Re: change natural column order

From: Mage <mage(at)mage(dot)hu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: change natural column order
Date: 2004-11-30 14:50:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Tino Wildenhain wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Am Dienstag, den 30.11.2004, 10:26 +0100 schrieb Joolz:
>

>>is it possible to change the natural order of the columns
>>afterwards? The reason I need this is because the frontend picks up
>>table columns in natural order, looks at the datatype and creates
>>view, input and mutate (html) forms.
>>

>Natural Order? This is similar to a select without order by - the
>SQL standard says nothing about a natural order.

This is not true. Columns have an order. You can do INSERTs without
specifying the columns. The values won't be inserted randomly but in
their order.

Changing the order of the columns is not a frontend question but
logically. (Some) people would like to see relevant columns near to each
other, even with an admin program. I would welcome some alter table
column order feature.

Btw human beings like changing things.

Mage