Re: multiline CSV fields

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: multiline CSV fields
Date: 2004-11-29 14:23:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Also, can you explain why we can't read across a newline to the next
>quote? Is it a problem with the way our code is structured or is it a
>logical problem? Someone mentioned multibyte encodings but I don't
>understand how that applies here.

In a CSV file, each line is a record. Reading across a newline for the
next quote (assuming the next field is quoted) would mean stealing
fields from the next record.

I did see one complaint about missing or extra fields at the end of a
record - I think it is reasonable for us to expect the data to be
rectangular, and not ragged.

(I hope this answers your question - I am not 100% certain I understaood
it).

cheers

andrew