Re: [HACKERS] Help!

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: ElayaRaja S <elayaraja(dot)s(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Help!
Date: 2004-11-25 11:24:36
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

ElayaRaja S wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for your reply. Sorry to contact again to this mail. I am
> unable to find the link for general list. Please let me know.

That's fine - I'm cc-ing you to the general list so others can help too.
You can find all the lists at http://www.postgresql.org/lists.html - you
can subscribe with a web-form too if you would like.

> And i
> have answered for your question as follows.
> How did you install 7.4.5? How was 7.3 Installed? What errors did you see?
> Actually 7.3 is builtin with Red hot Linux 9. But i have installed
> with my folder usr/local/pgsql/

OK - download the RPM distribution for PostgreSQL version 7.4.6. You can
get this from the download page on the main website. Choose a local
mirror, then check in the binary folder for Red Hat rpms. There are some
for Red Hat 9 (in the UK mirror definitely, I just checked).

As root, backup any existing databases using pg_dump. Backup the .conf
files in /var/lib/pgsql/data/.
Stop postgresql 7.3 with "service postgresql stop".
Upgrade your postgresql installation with "rpm -Uvh postgres*rpm" in the
same directory as your new rpm files.
Edit your configuration files.
If all works, start postgresql 7.4 with "service postgresql start"
Check with "service postgresql status"

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd