Re: Moving/Using Postgres Binaries on multiple machines

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Francis Reed <freed(at)iel(dot)ie>, List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Moving/Using Postgres Binaries on multiple machines
Date: 2004-11-24 14:21:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Francis Reed wrote:
> Hi Richard, Sun/Sparc is the platform of choice in our case. We tested the
> principle with postgres 7.4.6 but found a what we believe is a compile time
> dependancy in create_conversion.sql where $libdir is not being resolved
> properly during the intidb process. The usual environment variables don't
> seem to help (LD_LIBRARY_PATH; PATH; PGLIB etc). Its not clear whether the
> concept of binary distribution is not supported, hence my general question.

Sounds like it should be fine, for your situation*. It could be there is
a glitch in create_conversion.sql, especially if it is something that
won't show if you compile on the machine you want to run on. You might
want to file a bug on it. I'm afraid I don't have a copy of the 7.4.6
tarball to hand.

It might also be worth checking 8.0beta to see if it's fixed there - I
know some relocation changes were made there (because of the Windows
port iirc).

Bit puzzled there isn't some standard binary package already built for
various flavours of Sun box though.

* of course, assuming you're on the same OS version with compatible
libraries etc etc etc.

PS - cc the list and the sender when you reply, it's the convention
round here (though not on most lists I'll grant you)
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd