Converting file -Invalid data format on input DATE

From: Fred Wohlfert <fredwohlfert(at)ehbmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Converting file -Invalid data format on input DATE
Date: 2004-11-23 21:36:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am converting data from dBaseIII format trying to load into Postgresql.

I am having a problem with DATE field, the file I am working with does
not have any data for
this field on some records. I have been fixing other problems with sed,
however I am stumped with this.

Will Postgresql take a null as input for a DATE field?

Does anyone know how to specify the null character in SED?

Thanks in advance.