Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width
Date: 2004-11-21 19:16:35
Lists: pgsql-www

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Actually, looking at the Microsoft website Dave pointed to, it looks
> fixed-width to me ... and left justified instead of centered ... I
> wish doing a 'view source' was a bit easier to read, but from the way
> their javascript is defined at the top, it looks to be fixed to 855?

Yes it is a fixed width site. I was just making comment to your
Microsoft comment :).
Also I prefer fixed width sites. A fixed width site is much easier to
maintain, sets
specific guidelines for you content presentation and makes you actually
think about
how you are going to layout the site.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> <DEFANGED_script type="text/javascript">
> var
> isW;isW=(document&&document.body.clientWidth&&document.body.clientWidth>=895&&document.getElementById);
>
> </script>
>

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> 'k, you do realize that mentioning microsoft *really* doesn't work
>>> in "variable-widths" favor, eh? :)
>>

>> Although I appreciate the humor, Microsoft is actually a good
>> example. Yes they are considered by
>> many as "the Enemy". However they are widely respected even amongst
>> people who hate them as marketing genuises.
>> A website although primarily a tool, it is primarily a marketing tool.
>>
>> Something to think about :)
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake
>>

>>> ----
>>> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services
>>> (http://www.hub.org)
>>> Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ:
>>> 7615664
>>>
>>> ---------------------------(end of
>>> broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
>>

>> --
>> Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
>> Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
>> +1-503-667-4564 - jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com - http://www.commandprompt.com
>> PostgreSQL Replicator -- production quality replication for PostgreSQL
>>

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ:
> 7615664

Attachment Content-Type Size
jd.vcf text/x-vcard 285 bytes