42.0.0.jre7, driver logging takes 30-40% of my server's time

From: Konstantinos Kougios <kostas(dot)kougios(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 42.0.0.jre7, driver logging takes 30-40% of my server's time
Date: 2017-03-22 17:13:28
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I tried to paste an image with a profile, but my email was rejected.

It seems logging is called in places like row.getInt(), row.getString()
etc without a check for the logging level. Then it takes a lot of time
for those to be processed, especially for queries that get a lot of
data. It goes down to parsing strings and locale and it just is slow. I
see postgres processing a query for 1 sec but on the java side it takes
5 secs to get the data back to my code. Part of this slowdown is due to
the logging. Can it be optimized, i.e. having a boolean to true/false if
logging is enabled and then do the calls?

Thanks