Re: Database reverse engineering

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: ivanov_oi(at)ssec(dot)ru
Cc: 'PostgreSQL-development' <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database reverse engineering
Date: 2004-11-12 18:16:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oleg I.Ivanov wrote:
> Excuse me for a possible offtopic,
>
> but can anybody help me to understand why Sybase Power Designer 10.1
> does not understand serials and inheritance when reverse engineer
> Postgres database from script.

Serial is no datatype, but an int4 with a default. I don't know if the
default is reverse engineered correctly, I'd recommend to change it
manually to "serial".

> Is it possible to teach PowerDesigner to reverse engineer correctly ?

Probably not. pgAdmin has special treatment for int4/default to detect a
serial; PD as cross platform tool is not smart enough.
Similar about inheritance; I don't even know a way how to design this in
PD (in PD 8.0, I doubt 10.x is better).

> Or can anybody recommend me right tool which works correcty?

You could try ERwin, but I doubt you will be luckier there.

Regards,
Andreas