Re: Large transaction problem

From: "Paul B(dot) Anderson" <paul(at)pnlassociates(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large transaction problem
Date: 2004-11-11 22:14:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

After I restart postgresql, I execute vacuum several times in sql until
it succeeds. Then, everything else works OK again.

After I clear the problem,

select count(*) from archive

takes a second but, before the problem is cleared, it takes about 30
seconds and then gives the canceled by user response.

The vacuum was run using the vacuumdb command rather than from psql. It
was in a cron script running under user postgres. There was a .pgpass
file. The command was

/usr/bin/vacuumdb --all --full --analyze

This is postgresql on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 (ES) from RPMs
postgresql-7.4.3-2PGDG, etc.

Thanks.

Paul