Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org
Date: 2004-11-03 20:37:08
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi,

Dave Page wrote:
>>This I simply do not understand. If there is a need for
>>dedicated hardware, and it is being offered, then why is it
>>not being accepted?
>>Didn't CommandPrompt also offer dedicated hardware?
>>
>>Not wanting to start another heated debate, just wanting to
>>understand what the deal is - as this topic keeps getting
>>regurgitated without a conclusion.
>

> The problem is not the hardware from what Marc & I can tell - the
> current hardware (a dual PIII with 4GB) is just ticking along with
> little load, and the current website performs quite nicely.

You mean, of course, "current *static* website performs quite nicely", since PHP
is horribly slow there as well.

I'd like to repeat, the problem is that the server is not dedicated to
PostgreSQL project's needs and it has a lot of other stuff that can affect
performance and is extremely hard to track: