Re: [HACKERS] WIP aPatch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr, alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org, nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com, m(dot)polyakova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] WIP aPatch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors
Date: 2022-04-09 20:38:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Patch pushed. Thanks.

The buildfarm is still complaining about the synopsis being too
wide for PDF format. I think what we ought to do is give up on
using a <synopsis> for log lines at all, and instead convert the
documentation into a tabular list of fields. Proposal attached,
which also fixes a couple of outright errors.

One thing that this doesn't fix is that the existing text appears
to suggest that the "failures" column is something different from
the sum of the serialization_failures and deadlock_failures
columns, which it's obvious from the code is not so. If this isn't
a code bug then I think we ought to just drop that column entirely,
because it's redundant.

(BTW, now that I've read this stuff I am quite horrified by how
the non-aggregated log format has been mangled for error retries,
and will be probably be submitting a proposal to change that.
But that's a different issue.)

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
change-log-line-docs-layout.patch text/x-diff 13.0 KB