Re: btree_gist macaddr valgrind woes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: btree_gist macaddr valgrind woes
Date: 2014-05-17 21:23:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2014-05-17 23:46:39 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> I doubt there are many people using btree_gist on int8 or float8
>> columns.

> I don't think it's that unlikely. It can make a fair amount of sense to
> have multicolumn indexes where one columns is over an int8 and the other
> over the datatype requiring the gist index to be used. I've certainly
> done that.

Yeah; the whole point of having these opclasses at all is to allow a
GIST index to index a scalar column along with some GIST-only
functionality.

However, given the lack of field complaints, it seems likely that nobody
is trying to do that on non-Intel architectures; or at least, not on a
non-Intel architecture where the kernel is unwilling to mask the problem
via trap emulation. So my feeling about it is we don't need to try to
back-patch a fix. I'd like to see it fixed in HEAD, though.

A larger issue is that we evidently have no buildfarm animals that are
picky about alignment, or at least none that are running a modern-enough
buildfarm script to be running the contrib/logical_decoding test.
That seems like a significant gap. I don't want to volunteer to run
a critter on my HPPA box: it's old enough, and eats enough electricity,
that I no longer want to leave it on 24x7. Plus a lot of the time its
response to a bus error is to lock up in a tight loop rather than report
an error, so a failure wouldn't get reported usefully by the buildfarm
anyway. Does anyone have an ARM or PPC box where they can configure
the kernel not to mask misaligned fetches?