Re: plans and estimates for supporting JDBC 3.0

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Vadim Nasardinov <vadimn(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plans and estimates for supporting JDBC 3.0
Date: 2004-10-27 20:33:46
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Vadim Nasardinov wrote:

> As far as I can tell, XADataSource, XAConnection, and XAResource have
> not been implemented yet.
>
> | $ find org/ -name \*.java | \
> | xargs grep -E "XA(DataSource|Connection|Resource)" | wc -l
> | 0

Yes; there's no point in implementing XA* until we have a 2PC
implementation on the server side to back it up.

As I understand it, you do not need an XA implementation to be JDBC3
compliant anyway.

> Is there a plan for doing this and an estimate of the required effort?
> (As far as I understand, support for the XA stuff needs to be added on
> the backend side. Ignoring that for a second, are there any estimates
> for the amount of work required on the driver side?)

It depends on what the server interface to 2PC ends up looking like.
With current proposals it doesn't seem like much work on the driver side.

See http://www.hut.fi/~hlinnaka/pgsql/ for some 2PC (backend & JDBC
driver) work.

-O