Re: Any plans on allowing user-defined triggers to be deferrable?

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Any plans on allowing user-defined triggers to be deferrable?
Date: 2004-10-26 14:29:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Stephan Szabo wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Mike Mascari wrote:
>

>>I'd like to ensure that the creation of a department also implies the
>>creation of two to eight projects; no more, no less:

>>Is there no way to achieve the above stated goal in the server? Must I
>>rely on the application to enforce consistency?
>

> Well. It's not exactly meant to be a user facing feature, but check out
> CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER.

Thanks, Stephan!

I read the disclaimer "It is not intended for general use" but am
curious as to why it isn't a user-facing feature? Is it a function of
just exposing a cleaner SQL interface, or is it a function of the
trigger queue having been written after user-defined triggers, or is
there some philosophical argument against allowing user-definable
triggers to be deferred?

At any rate, it looks like precisely what I need.

Thanks!

Mike Mascari