Re: The reasoning behind having several features outside

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: nd02tsk(at)student(dot)hig(dot)se
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The reasoning behind having several features outside
Date: 2004-10-25 18:38:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/25/2004 2:19 PM, nd02tsk(at)student(dot)hig(dot)se wrote:

> Hello
>
> Why is it that PostgreSQL chooses to have features like replication,
> fulltext indexing and GIS maintained by others outside of the sourcetree?

Because those are very diverse features. Replication especially, which
is a bunch of different technical solutions for more than a dozen
problems. In these matters there is no one size that fits all, and
because of that they don't belong into the core distribution of the
database server.

For the next replication system I am planning, there need to be some
changes to the core server. But these will be reduced to hooks and APIs
that will be more general and open to discussion to provide the
infrastructure requited by the majority of replication extensions.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #