Re: Upgrading to 7.4.5

From: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>
To: "Vishal Kashyap (at) [Sai Hertz And Control Systems]" <vishalonlist(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: cjwhite(at)cisco(dot)com, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrading to 7.4.5
Date: 2004-10-25 07:37:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Vishal Kashyap @ [Sai Hertz And Control Systems] wrote:

>Dear Rajesh ,
>

>>The release notes of upgrades usually indicate whether initdb
>>is required or not. Generally when the last digit of a version
>>change it does not require a dump and reload. In this case
>>the release notes say:
>>
>>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/release.html#RELEASE-7-4-5
>>
>> E.1.1. Migration to version 7.4.5
>>
>>A dump/restore is not required for those running 7.4.X
>>

>But migration from 7.4.2 > requires a initdb.
>
>Check the release notes of 7.4.3

The release notes does not seems to say anything like that
can you tell me where u read ?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/release-7-4-3.html

E.3.1. Migration to version 7.4.3

A dump/restore is not required for those running 7.4.X.

However:

<>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/release-7-4-2.html
does say that dump/initdb/reload is an option to fix 2 errors.
These two errors can also be fixed manually without dump / reload
which is described in same URL.

Since Chris is already using 7.4.2 he may have already fixed it
if the data were imported from < 7.4.2 . If original database was
created using 7.4.2 dump/reload shud not be required for
upgrading to 7.4.5

It is a great timesaver to skip dump/initdb/reload especially
when GIGs' of data is involved. Not just in terms of time but also
minor manual tweaks that are required to be done to dump files
sometime.

Regds
Mallah.