Re: Best Practice for Address storage.

From: Daniel Staal <DStaal(at)usa(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best Practice for Address storage.
Date: 2011-07-09 17:12:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

--As of July 6, 2011 1:25:12 PM -0700, Paula Price is alleged to have said:

> I have seen some interesting implementation using vertical tables.
> http://weblogs.foxite.com/andykramek/archive/2009/05/03/8369.aspx

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Just wanted to say thanks. It took some thinking on how that would work
with the rest of the system, but it looks like it should work very well.
It'll be a bit harder to search, (and a good bit less standardized), but it
should allow just about any address to work.

For reference, my current thought is to have a two-dimensional array in one
field of the 'users' table, which will hold the address. One field of the
array will hold a tag, the other a the entry. So a US address would end up
looking like this:

{{'street','1 Test Drive'},{'street','Apt.
2'}{'city','Springfield'},{'state','TI'},{'zip','99999'}}

Daniel T. Staal

This email copyright the author. Unless otherwise noted, you
the contents for non-commercial purposes. This copyright will
local copyright law.