Re: NIC to NIC connection

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Subject: Re: NIC to NIC connection
Date: 2004-10-21 08:07:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> Also I believe that if
> a switch doesn't remember where a particular mac address is it will send
> the packet to all of the attached ports.

I don't think so, I guess the switch perform a sort of arpping in order to
detect who have a macaddress assigned, even the multicast is not sent
to all ports but only to that ports where "someone" sent an arp packet saying
the he was registered to a multicast address.

However I don't think exist a standard.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola