replication using WAL archives

From: "Iain" <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: replication using WAL archives
Date: 2004-10-21 06:44:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I thought I read something about this in relation to v8, but I can't find
any reference to it now... is it (or will it be) possible to do master-slave
style database replication by transmitting log files to the standby server
and having it process them?

Also, just out of interest, if I wanted to mine my log files so as to be
able to produce SQL would that be feasible? Presumably pg does something
like this internally for rollforward recovery, so I guess it would be
possible.

regards
Iain