Re: how much mem to give postgres?

From: Matt Clark <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>
To: Josh Close <narshe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: POSTGRES-PERFORMANCE <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how much mem to give postgres?
Date: 2004-10-20 14:07:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

>How would I turn that off? In the kernel config? Not too familiar with
>that. I have a 2 proc xeon with 4 gigs of mem on the way for postgres,
>so I hope HT isn't a problem. If HT is turned off, does it just not
>use the other "half" of the processor? Or does the processor just work
>as one unit?

You turn it off in the BIOS. There is no 'other half', the processor is
just pretending to have two cores by shuffling registers around, which
gives maybe a 5-10% performance gain in certain multithreaded
situations. <opinion>A hack to overcome marchitactural limitations due
to the overly long pipeline in the Prescott core.</opinion>. Really of
most use for desktop interactivity rather than actual throughput.