Re: OS desicion

From: Matt Clark <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>
To: Tom Fischer <tom(dot)fischer(at)ebuz(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OS desicion
Date: 2004-10-20 13:23:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

You are asking the wrong question. The best OS is the OS you (and/or
the customer) knows and can administer competently. The real
performance differences between unices are so small as to be ignorable
in this context. The context switching bug is not OS-dependent, but
varys in severity across machine architectures (I understand it to be
mostly P4/Athlon related, but don't take my word for it).