Re: pg_regress --temp-keep

From: Reini Urban <rurban(at)x-ray(dot)at>
To: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_regress --temp-keep
Date: 2004-10-19 19:56:36
Lists: pgsql-patches

Fabien COELHO schrieb:
>>> Improving the performance would require to fix the install script so
>>> that it can handle more than one argument at once, and/or use a more or less
>>> standard "install" program when available.
>>
>> We used to try to use the "standard" install program when available.
>> After sufficient bitter experience, we concluded that "standard" and
>> "install" are not words that should be used together.
>

> Ok. I trust you on that;-)
>
> Thus the only performance improvement I can see is to change the
> "install" script, for instance by considering the multi-argument apache
> version as a candidate replacement.
>
> This might require also to fix makefiles install target to take
> advantage of the fact.
>
> Also, it might require to deal with "extensions" of the postgres script
> somehow, if it has any such things.
>
> I might look into it as I'm somehow responsible for the
> "install-all-headers" new default, but I don't have much time
> right now.

I don't believe that the install script is the only culprit, it's
makefile target:
all static libs, headers and all docs are not needed there.
maybe add another install target: "install-regress" and collect only the
needed binaries, shared libs, timezone and intl stuff.
ah, even this is not needed.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/