Re: Proper Sizing of Shared Buffer Cache

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Don Kelloway <dkelloway(at)commodon(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proper Sizing of Shared Buffer Cache
Date: 2004-10-19 08:46:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Don Kelloway wrote:
> I'm a first-time user with PostgreSQL so please forgive my ignorance.
>
> I've purchased (and read) Practical PostgreSQL (O'Reilly) and PostgreSQL
> Essential Reference (New Riders). So far, so good. I think learning
> PostgreSQL will not be as difficult as I thought it would be. I've also
> been googling for the last few days, but I have a question in regards to
> determining the proper size of the buffer cache parameter.

Another good reference point is
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html

The only real way to find the best value is by testing different values
against actual usage.

There's also a performance mailing list you might find useful. Archive
available on the website.
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd