Re: large dumps won't restore

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Christian Fowler <spider(at)viovio(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin list <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: large dumps won't restore
Date: 2004-10-18 15:53:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

> When using pg_dump + psql:
>
> I get a similar error. In one table that has about 5.4 million rows,
> the dump has several incomplete rows in the large block of copy data.
> It seems to attempt to fill the copy with data from the *next* line.
>
> ERROR: invalid input syntax for type timestamp: "4"
> CONTEXT: COPY foo_data, line 169371, column mod_date: "4"
>
> going to 169371 lines after the start of the copy, indeed there is a
> short
> row (by two), and two fields in on the *next* line is indeed a "4"
>

> Both seem to have the same problem - incomplete COPY row data. any ideas?

Well you aren't going to like this but I see two solutions:

1. Cut out the rows listed and reimport after the copy completes.
2. Perform the pg_dump as inserts which will make the restore very slow
but should complete correctly.

Is the dump and restore happening on the same platform?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake