Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY for lightweight replication

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Ted Shab <tshab(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY for lightweight replication
Date: 2004-10-13 08:27:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Ted Shab wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to come up with a relatively simple
> multi-master replication solution. This is for
> multiple databases that need to be discreet, and
> change relatively infrequently (10-30 updates an
> hour), and almost never update each others data (less
> than once a day).
>
> The TCL-based replication project for multi-master is
> troublesome to configure and seems to really impact
> performance. It can be assumed that the master-slave
> setup will not work for me, nor do we want to purchase
> a commercial soluton, nor can we run this all from one
> central database.

> e. If there is a field level conflict, raise an
> exception (TBD).

Exception handling and failure recovery are what makes for all the work
in replication.

I don't think a pure listen/notify setup will be enough because iirc the
system doesn't guarantee delivery of multiple notifications if >1 are
queued.

Have you looked into the possibility of using dblink to handle updates
of each others' data? That would mean your problem reverting to one of
single-master replication.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd