Re: Required permissions for data directory

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Required permissions for data directory
Date: 2004-10-12 21:59:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark wrote:
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>

>>However, it is also true that by having the ability to give say a tier2 the
>>ability to edit the postgresql.conf withough the ability to log in as postgres
>>or root, then that user can not stop/start the database, or have root access.
>>They can however, allow another IP, user, network access.
>

> What about in my case where it's not that I don't have permission to log in as
> postgres it's just that I consider it a pain. It means I can't open files in
> my own editor and other tools easily, I have to start up a separate login and
> use separate tools.

This sounds much as if accessing the file via SQL would be appropriate,
i.e. the generic file functions that I've been discussing a while ago.
They exist in a module, and will be used by the postgresql.conf
implemented in pgAdmin3 within the next few weeks (as soon we're out of
feature freeze).
Regards,
Andreas