Re: Postgresql for Dummies?

From: Ron St-Pierre <rstpierre(at)syscor(dot)com>
To: Daniel Lerch <daniel(at)mountainmeasurement(dot)com>, pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql for Dummies?
Date: 2004-10-12 21:07:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

Daniel Lerch wrote:

> OK, I'll check that book out.
>
> I tried running pgAdminIII, but when I tried to connect to my psql
> server I got the error:
> "SSL error: wrong version number"

An SSL error....?

> I'll try to figure this out, but one thing it led me to was realizing
> that I don't know what verision of psql I'm actually running, and I
> don't know how to find out (I noticed that pgAdminIII is for
> postgreSQL 7.3 and 7.4). Is there a 'version' command within psql?

psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 7.4.1
contains support for command-line editing
or from within psql
select version();
version
PostgreSQL 7.4.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.95.4
(1 row)

If you've got an earlier version of postgres you can download the
appropriate pgAdmin version (pgAdminII probably), which used to be
available on the website http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/pgadmin2/downloads/

Ron