Re: Function editor

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function editor
Date: 2004-10-11 15:47:01
Lists: pgadmin-support

Dave Page wrote:

> That's kinda heading off in the direction I think Jean-Michel was tryng
> to take pga1 when he experimented with an Oracle like Packages system.
> It would require far more thought and redesign to make it natural to
> /not/ use the prop dialogues.

I don't know how that's supposed to work.

e.g. designing views doesn't only mean to design them until all columns
are included, and the syntax is correct. Additionally, the query plan
needs investigation. To do that, you'd execute the select with some
restriction, check the plan, optimize etc. At the end, you add "CREATE
VIEW xxx AS" and hit F5. This is clearly more than property dialogs can
deliver. Extending them would mean duplicating query tool facilities.
For large views/functions, the property dialog advantages seem
neglectable compared to the query tool.

> Incidently, wrt the other solution of converting all dialogues to be
> wxFrame based, assuming it works you should be able to set
> wxFRAME_NO_TASKBAR to prevent the taskbar icons showing up. Not sure
> what other effects that would have, but it probably would then need some
> dialogue refactoring to include sizers on everything.

<shrug>
I won't accept resizing of non-resizable contents, which includes most
property dialogs.

REgards,
Andreas