Re: Disaster!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Disaster!
Date: 2004-01-23 21:13:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Are you interested in real backtraces, any of the old data directory,
> etc. to debug the problem?

If you could recompile with debug support and get a backtrace from the
panic, it would be helpful. I suspect what we need to do is make the
clog code more willing to interpret a zero-length read as 8K of zeroes
instead of an error, at least during recovery. But I kinda thought
there was such an escape hatch already, so I want to see exactly how
it got to the point of the failure.

Also, which PG version are you running exactly?

> Obviously it ran out of disk space, but surely postgres should be able
> to start up somehow?

See the response I'm about to write to Martn.