Re: Upgrading [SOLVED]

From: Patrick Nelson <pnelson(at)neatech(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL List (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrading [SOLVED]
Date: 2003-01-28 06:51:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Patrick Nelson wrote:
----------------->>>>
I have a RedHat 7.2 system with 7.2.1-2PGDG (as a server) installed on it.

I installed the PGDG rpm mainly because our RH 7.3 and 8.0 systems seemed to
have problems with the version that was current in the RH 7.2 updates.
Everything has worked great.

However, RH has release new clients (7.2.3-5.73 for RH7.2 systems and
7.1.3-4bp.2 on 7.2 systems) so I would like to update my 7.2 server and
clients. The 7.1.3-4 installed on the RH7.2 clients works fine
communicating with the 7.2.1-2PGDG server, but I am going to push these up
to what ever version is suggested.

So here is the questions:

1. What version of server should I install on the RH 7.2 system?
2. If I go with the latest 7.3.1 (using the RH 7.3 rpms) will 7.2.3-5.73
clients have any problems communicating?
3. Or should I stick with a lower version?
----------------->>>>

Took awhile to have time to do this but, my answers are:

1. 7.3.1-1PGDG
2. Yes they did, but I upgraded all systems to 7.3.1-1PGDG
3. Decided to push everyone to 7.3.1-1PGDG

The server (w/ RH72) upgrade was pretty easy here were my steps:

1. On a client (that was upgraded with 7.3.1-1PGDG) system I ran:
pg_dumpall > pgupdump.sql
against the old pg server
2. I copied the files postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf out of
/var/lib/pgsql/data
3. Shutdown the server with redhats:
service postgresql stop
4. "rpm -ev "ed all postgresql rpms and dependant rpms, noting what was
removed
5. Deleted the /var/lib/pgsql subdirectory
6. "rpm -ivh "ed the new postgresql rpms and any other rpms previously
removed (ie perl-DBD and php-dbd)
7. Started the server with redhats:
service postgresql start
which on the first call cause an initdb process to start. It completed
successfully and seemed like the server was ready.
8. Compared the old postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf against the new ones
installed by the rpms and incorporated the old files into the new files
9. Reloaded the server with redhats:
service postgresql reload
10. Tested by creating a test db:
createdb -h localhost -U postgres mytestdb
which worked. So I deleted it with:
dropdb -h localhost -U postgres mytestdb
11. Restored the dump file with:
psql -h localhost -U postgres template1 -f pgupdump.sql
which worked.
12. Tested clients... all OK.

Happy with 7.3.1-1 on me systems.