Re: database constraints

From: Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)fireserve(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Ben <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com>
Subject: Re: database constraints
Date: 2004-10-06 15:58:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Use a post trigger function, ON UPDATE, INSERT which essentially has
this in it:

if ( ISNULL(new.a) AND ISNULL(new.b) ){ RAISE NOTICE "blah blah"; }

I work with PHP a lot, just a little plpgsql, so, the grammar may be
wrong above.
Ben <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com> wrote:
If I have have the table:

create table foo
(
a int references bar(id),
b int references baz(id)
)

... how do I make sure one and only one of the columns a and b are
non-null? Is it even reasonable?