pg_dump and blobs

From: David Garamond <lists(at)zara(dot)6(dot)isreserved(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump and blobs
Date: 2004-10-05 01:56:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Why doesn't pg_dump include blob by default? I understand that older
pg_dump didn't deal with blobs, and blobs are now kind of obsolete in
favor of BYTEA/TEXT, but blobs are every bit a part of a database.
Perhaps only exclude blobs when -t is specified? Then -b is required to
include blob. Otherwise, -b is implied.

Also, it would be really nice if there were a way that pg_dumpall could
include blobs. This is my biggest Postgres annoyance nowadays, as I've
recently been bitten by this. I though we are already able to escape all
octet range from '\\000' to '\\377'?

--
dave