Re: coverage increase for worker_spi

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: coverage increase for worker_spi
Date: 2019-05-29 22:39:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom pointed out that coverage for worker_spi is 0%. For a module that
> only exists to provide coverage, that's pretty stupid. This patch
> increases coverage to 90.9% line-wise and 100% function-wise, which
> seems like a sufficient starting point.

> How would people feel about me getting this in master at this point in
> the cycle, it being just some test code? We can easily revert if
> it seems too unstable.

I'm not opposed to adding a new test case at this point in the cycle,
but as written this one seems more or less guaranteed to fail under
load. You can't just sleep for worker_spi.naptime and expect that
the worker will certainly have run.

Perhaps you could use a plpgsql DO block with a loop to wait up
to X seconds until the expected state appears, for X around 120
to 180 seconds (compare poll_query_until in the TAP tests).