Re: license cleanup

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: license cleanup
Date: 2004-10-04 07:35:13
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> I think it is a real bad idea to unilaterally change the copyright text
> in files we got from somewhere else, no matter how benign our intentions.

Agreed.

> Instead, how about adopting the NetBSD version of the functionality?
> If the files did indeed come from UCB originally, then NetBSD should
> have a copy too ...

Attached is a patch that replaces src/port/{strtol.c,strtoul.c} with
versions derived from current NetBSD CVS sources, which has a 3-clause
BSD license. The code is different than the FreeBSD sources in a few
ways (mostly trivial); I've eyeballed the diffs and I couldn't see
anything that would result in a change in behavior, but I may have
missed something. The NetBSD sources are actually better in a few ways
(e.g. they don't use the "register" keyword).

Barring any objections, I intend to apply this patch to HEAD on Tuesday.

There are a few more files whose licenses need updating, but I'll leave
that for later. And of course, there's contrib/ to sort out as well...

-Neil

Attachment Content-Type Size
freebsd-to-netbsd-port-1.patch text/plain 15.5 KB