Re: output file name - was pg_restore / psql

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Harald Armin Massa <ghum(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: output file name - was pg_restore / psql
Date: 2004-10-03 21:39:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Unless you restore to a database using -d, pg_restore gives you back the
SQL (or a list if you use -l). -f specifies where this should go
instead of to stdout.

Or, as the man page clearly says:

pg_restore can operate in two modes: If a database name is
specified,
the archive is restored directly into the database. Otherwise, a
script
containing the SQL commands necessary to rebuild the database
is cre-
ated (and written to a file or standard output), similar to
the ones
created by the pg_dump plain text format.

does that make it clearer? (Reading the man pages is a Good Thing (tm). )

cheers

andrew