Re: Mislabeled timestamp functions (was Re: [SQL] [NOVICE] date_trunc'd

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Mislabeled timestamp functions (was Re: [SQL] [NOVICE] date_trunc'd
Date: 2004-10-02 08:43:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
> Do you see any other mislabelings?

I don't but I think that the concept of immutable shall be expanded.
I mean I can use safely a date_trunc immutable in a query ( I think this
is a sort of "immutable per statement" ) but not in a index definition
( the index mantainance is affected by the current timezonesettings ).
So may be another modifier shall be introduced that reflect the "immutable
per statement"

> What I'm inclined to do with these is change pg_proc.h but not force an
> initdb. Does anyone want to argue for an initdb to force it to be fixed
> in 8.0? We've lived with the wrong labelings for some time now without
> noticing, so it doesn't seem like a serious enough bug to force a
> post-beta initdb ... to me anyway.

I think that an initdb is not required but at least a script, released
only with the 8.0, that will update the catalogs could be usefull.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola