Re: CREATE INDEX speeds up query on 31 row table ...

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE INDEX speeds up query on 31 row table ...
Date: 2004-10-01 04:33:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
>
>> Are you using default values for autovacuum? Could you prove a
>> little more detail by setting pg_autovacuum debug with -d 2
>
> Sure ... just restarted it with that setup ... btw ... I'm using -L
> for logging ... what is the usual way of gettin git to go to syslog?
> I don't mind the extra debugging level, but would like to be able to
> auto-rotate the log :)

There is no "normal" way to get it to go to syslog. The version of
autovacuum that didn't make the 8.0 cut had support for it. I'm sorry
to say that since I tried and failed to integrate autovacuum into the
backend, that the 8.0 autovacuum in contrib is exactly the same as the
7.4.3 version :-(

I'm not sure but I think someone a while ago posted a patch that added
syslog support to pg_autovacuum.

Matthew