Re: src/interfaces/libpq shipping nmake-related Makefiles

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: src/interfaces/libpq shipping nmake-related Makefiles
Date: 2017-04-11 20:51:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I am fine with removing things, but I do remember one reason the Borland
> part was kept is that some tool would only work with the
> Borland-compiled library, not gcc or MSVC, but that was long ago.

Yeah, very long ago. A quick search of our archives shows that the number
of mentions of Borland pretty much fell off a cliff after 2009 (excluding
the repeated conversations about dropping support, that is). I found one
report suggesting that it was already broken in 2012:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/AD61A3A7C80949178643FE5D2811C35F%40LynnPC

It seems pretty safe to say that nobody's using this build method
anymore. As best I can tell from perusing the archives, the reason
we used to expend a lot of sweat on it was that there was a freely
available version of Borland C and none of MSVC. But that stopped
being true a long time ago, so there's not much reason to concern
ourselves with it anymore.