Re: Compilation on Windows

From: Alexander Borkowski <alexander(dot)borkowski(at)abri(dot)une(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Compilation on Windows
Date: 2004-09-23 08:36:10
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

[SSL_version_str symbol missing]
> I've run into that before - you need to use the static SSL libs, not the
> import libs for the dll. They do (should) contain that symbol.

Ah, so one has to use ms/nt.mak instead of ms/ntdll.mak to build the
static version of the libraries (which in my case too contain that
symbol and hence solve the problem). I should have read the build
instructions for OpenSSL more thoroughly. Thank you very much for that hint.

> You can download the precompiled versions of the SSL and libpq libs from
> http://www.pgadmin.org/snapshots/postgresql/libs-win32-20040906.zip if
> you don't want to build them yourself.

A look at that file solves another one of my pitfalls: Only two of the
PostgreSQL headers are really being used. In the VC project file you
provide, "c:/postgresql/include" comes before the pgAdmin "include/" in
the include path. I had a full PostgreSQL source tree in that place and
compilation of src/db/keywords.c failed because nodes/parsenodes.h and
parser/keywords.h from the PostgreSQL source and not the ones from the
pgAdmin source were found first. I resolved the issue by rearranging the
include path, but with only the two headers from that ZIP archive in
place this would never have happened.

I am currently writing a "How to build pgAdmin III from source on
Windows"-like document for in house use. Are you interested in something
like that and if so what is the best way for me to contribute this to
the pgAdmin documentation?

Thanks again,

Alex