Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>, amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning
Date: 2019-05-29 22:02:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 12:09 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Is it actually better? The basic problem with backtrace() is that it
>> only knows about global functions, and so reports call sites in static
>> functions as if they were in whatever global function physically precedes
>> the static one. I think doing materially better requires depending on
>> debug symbols, which (at least in the Red Hat world) aren't going to
>> be there in a typical production situation.

> I don't have an opinion on glibc vs. libunwind, but I don't understand
> this argument. If you are unlucky enough to have a production server
> that is crashing due to some hitherto-unknown bug, and if it's not
> possible to get a good backtrace without installing debugging symbols,
> then you are going to have to pick between (1) installing those
> debugging symbols and (2) getting a poor backtrace. I don't really
> see that as a problem so much as just the way life is.

Well, it *is* a problem. The whole point of this discussion I think is
to try to get better information "by default" for routine bug reports.
So if those come from production servers without debug symbols, which
I believe will be the usual case, then it seems likely to me that
libunwind will produce no better results than glibc. (But perhaps
I'm wrong about that --- I have not experimented with libunwind.)

Now it's true that "install debug symbols" is less of an ask than
"install debug symbols, *and* gdb, and make sure server core dumps are
enabled, and then go through this arcane manual procedure next time
you get a core dump". But we shouldn't fool ourselves that it isn't
an ask that's going to be hard for people with corporate policies
against installing extra stuff on production servers.