Re: Dry Run Mode, + W9X

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Serguei Mokhov <mokhov(at)cs(dot)concordia(dot)ca>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dry Run Mode, + W9X
Date: 2004-09-19 18:17:12
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Serguei Mokhov wrote:

> For myself, the error messages are least of my worries. Most problems I have
> are with field labels that cannot fit within a given container when translated,
> so a part of a label's text gets truncated. For the dry run mode you need
> little context, you just show all possible dialogs and forms for a given
> action.

OK, that's reasonable.

> Nonetheless, Dave Page built 9X binaries for 1.0.2, which work perfectly okay
> for me. Another reason is the registry usage, but as I said, I want to
> avoid the use of registry in the dry run mode altogether.

Our project doesn't contain non-unicode support any more.

> So, if I address the caveats and other issues that come up and
> if the change is not too invasive, I have some chances for the
> work to be applied when I contribute it?

Yes, but not before 1.2 release (which will not take too much time)

It will be hard work:
- many comboboxes are filled from db, you might even force uncatched
errors here.
- some (few) strings are exchanged at runtime. First that comes to my
mind is "Users/Groups" on the privileges tab, selectable by "display
users in privileges". You could scan for CTRL_STATIC in the sources.

Regards,
Andreas