explain analyze results are different for each iteration

From: Robert Davis <robert(at)faithwestinc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: explain analyze results are different for each iteration
Date: 2004-09-15 01:21:27
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'm trying to benchmark some complex sql queries. One query, in
particular, is causing problems -- its cost values can vary from 228
to 907, its Total Runtimes from 60 ms to 5176 ms. The query plans
show that the optimizer is choosing different plans for different
iterations of the same query. Does anyone have any idea what's
going on here or maybe how I can force Postgres to prefer the faster
plan?

The query plans are very long (11 tables joined) but I can include
them if it might help. Thanks for any advice,

Roberto