Re: Re: pg_dump scripts are no longer ordinary-user friendly

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: pg_dump scripts are no longer ordinary-user friendly
Date: 2001-03-06 03:40:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> At 22:26 5/03/01 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Now that you mention it, is it a feature at all? Or a bug? ISTM poor
>> form for a data-only restore to assume it may turn off all pre-existing
>> triggers.

> Do you recall any of the history - why was it added in the first place?

No, I don't recall. It might be worth digging in the archives.

> I vaguely recall something about doing a schema restore then data
> restore. In this case, you need to disable triggers, but maybe that
> should be an option only. ie. default to no messing with pg_class, but
> if the user requests it, output code to disable triggers.

Well, mumble. I guess the question is what are the triggers going to
*do*? If they are going to cross-check against tables that may not be
restored yet, then you have a problem if you don't turn them off. OTOH
it's easy to imagine that this may allow you to load inconsistent data.
'Tis a puzzlement.

For now, I'd be happy if the normal case of a simple restore doesn't
generate warnings. Improving on that probably takes more thought and
risk than we should be putting in at the end of beta.