Re: Display of text fields

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: nasr(dot)laili(at)tin(dot)it
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Display of text fields
Date: 2004-09-10 08:11:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Ennio-Sr wrote:
> Perhaps I'd better explain what I'm trying to do:
>
> I have all my books registered in a *.dbf table and a file .exe
> (construed a few years ago with clipper-S87) to access, add, modify
> them. When I browse my file (for example, on a Dosemu console), if a
> particolar record has the field 'scheda_ltr' set to 'T', I can press F2
> and view/modify the relative 'memo' field.
> I would like to be able to achieve a similar result with PostgreSQL; I
> know I can do that with Pgaccess or like applications, but my goal is
> being able to do it from a console! :-)

Ah - you're wasting your time with psql then. It's a find sql console
but it's not a browser. Might be worth posting a question asking if
anyone knows of a "console based database browser"

I'm not aware of any console-based database browsers, but if I was
seeking to write something similar I'd look into the "curses" package -
there are bindings for Perl and Python as well as C and examples of
usage on the web:

http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6/pod/perlfaq3.html#How-can-I-use-curses-with-Perl-
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/curses/index.html
http://search.cpan.org/~wps/Curses-1.06/gen/make.Curses.pm
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-python6.html?dwzone=linux
http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/curses/

It shouldn't be difficult to build an application to do what you want.
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd