Re: Permissions problem with sequences

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, Gary Doades <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Permissions problem with sequences
Date: 2004-09-06 01:49:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>>There is, however, an ownership problem with restoring sequences
>>in 8.0.0beta. In 7.4.5, for example, pg_dump issues a SET SESSION
>>AUTHORIZATION command and then creates a table, so implicitly-created
>>sequences are restored with the correct ownership. In 8.0.0beta2,
>>however, pg_dump doesn't issue SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION but rather
>>creates a table and then issues ALTER TABLE ... OWNER TO.

Oer. I'd better look at that :(

> Yeah, we still need to find a solution for that.

That was a known problem? No-one had told me!

> I'd prefer not to
> back out the ALTER OWNER TO changes, but I will if nothing else
> presents itself.

I'd say that the OWNER TO mode fixes many more bugs than it created,
plus they can always dump in the old way with a command line switch.
However, of course the best thing is to just fix it, which I guess I'll
have a crack at...

Chris