Re: Sixth Draft

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: josh(at)bitbuckets(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sixth Draft
Date: 2004-09-01 17:45:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 9/1/2004 12:58 PM, josh(at)bitbuckets(dot)com wrote:

> The following draft considers everyone's comments. I think the paragraph
> about history (moved to the end) needs more stuff.

No, you ignored my comment.

The ARC, bgwriter and vacuum delay work was also sponsored by Afilias.
And it does NOT increase speed necessarily. It lowers the standard
deviation of query response times, which is highly appreciated by
everyone who has things like "98% of transactions in under 3 seconds" in
their SLA's.

Jan

> Thanks,
> --J
>
> August 24, 2004 - The PostgreSQL Global Development group today announced
> the availability of the 8.0 version of the PostgreSQL Object-Relational
> Database Management System, the most advanced open source database in the
> world today. With this new release, professional users have an
> world-class, scalable, open source database solution that does not
> sacrifice many of the conveniences provided by commercial products.
>
> PostgreSQL 8.0 contains many new features that make the database a strong
> contender against the likes of Oracle and DB2. Many companies, who view
> PostgreSQL as a strategic part of their overall I.T. plan, have sponsored
> development of the new features, which include:
>
> Native Windows Support: PostgreSQL now works natively with Windows
> systems and does not need an emulation layer. This provides dramatically
> improved performance over previous versions, and offers a compelling
> alternative to Microsoft SQL Server for independent software vendors,
> corporate users, and individual Windows developers.
>
> Savepoints: Savepoints allow specific parts of a database transaction to
> be aborted without affecting the whole transaction. This feature, funded
> by Fujitsu, is valuable for application developers who require error
> recovery within complex transactions.
>
> Point In Time Recovery: PITR provides the ability to recover data to the
> point of failure or to any time in the past.
>
> Tablespaces: This feature, also funded by Fujitsu, allows the database
> administrator to choose which filesystems are used for schemas, tables,
> and indexes. This allows the administrator to place whole databases on
> separate disks to improve performance.
>
> Improved Memory and I/O usage: With this release of PostgreSQL, disk
> input/output subsystems have been improved to use shared buffers more
> effectively, yielding significant increases in speed and performance.
>
> There are also several new external components which complement the core
> PostgreSQL database engine:
>
> - Slony-I is a a "master-slave" replication system with cascading and
> failover capabilities funded by Internet domain registry Afilias.
> - PostgreSQL added to its roster of stored procedure languages with
> PL/PerlNG and PL/PHP which were sponsored by consultancy Command Prompt,
> Inc. as well as PL/Java and the .Net provider Npgsql.
>
> Version 8 is the collective work of hundreds of developers, building on
> almost twenty years of development dating back to the University of
> California at Berkeley.
>
> PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD-style license, which due to its lack of
> licensing fees allows corporate and individual users more flexibility than
> the competition. The PostgreSQL database can be downloaded freely at
> http://www.postgresql.org.

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #